Dermal fillers are a diverse toolbox for facial rejuvenation. As we age, the fat, muscles, bone, and skin in our face begin to thin, often leading to a sunken or sagging appearance. Fillers, such as Juvederm® and collagen treatments are gel-like substances that are injected under the skin to fill fine lines and wrinkles and give your skin a smoother, more youthful appearance and keep your skin looking plump and vibrant. According to the American Board of Facial Cometic Surgery, nearly 2,677,000 dermal filler injections were performed in 2018 alone. Here are some tips on how to not only improve the results but how to make them last longer, too.
What Causes results to fade?
Dermal fillers contain ingredients found in nature, such as collagen and hyaluronic acid. These substances don’t stay in place forever, separate from your body, and eventually become reabsorbed. The rate at which this happens is different for everyone, and it depends on a few things:
Areas with more movement see faster breakdown of the dermal filler.
- High Activity: The mouth and lips are constantly moving, requiring more frequent touch-ups for lip fillers.
- Lower Activity: Fillers placed deeper in the cheeks or tear troughs, often resting on bone beneath muscles, experience less movement and therefore last longer.
Remember: These are general guidelines, and individual factors like metabolism and product type can influence longevity. Request a consult for personalized advice on injectables and their expected duration.
Small dose injections will dissipate more quickly than larger doses. Areas that require multiple injections placed closely together will also retain the injectables longer.
Dermal Filler Type
Dermal fillers aren’t one-size-fits-all. While they all share the common goal of restoring volume, smoothing wrinkles, and boosting collagen production, they achieve these results in different ways. Their composition also varies, with some fillers relying on natural ingredients and others utilizing synthetic materials. Let’s explore the diverse landscape of dermal fillers available at Central Wellness, organized by their primary active ingredient.
Looking for a natural-looking way to add volume and definition to your face? Juvéderm is the #1 dermal filler collection in the world, offering a variety of fillers designed to address different concerns. Available JUVÉDERM® fillers at Central Wellness include: ULTRA PLUS XC, ULTRA XC, VOLBELLA® XC, VOLLURE® XC, VOLUMA® XC, VOLUX® XC,
What makes Juvéderm unique?
- Hyaluronic acid: All Juvéderm fillers are made of hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring substance found in your skin. This helps to ensure natural-looking results and a smooth gel-like feel.
- Variety of options: With different formulations available, there’s a Juvéderm filler to suit your individual needs and goals.
- Long-lasting results: Depending on the type of filler used, you can enjoy results that last up to 18 months.
Sculpt a more youthful you with Radiesse, the only FDA-approved calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) filler. Unlike other dermal fillers, Radiesse uses tiny, smooth CaHA microspheres suspended in a gel to offer both immediate volume and long-lasting results. This unique combination effectively targets deeper lines and wrinkles associated with advanced facial aging, leaving you with a smoother, more refined appearance. But that’s not all! Radiesse can also rejuvenate the hands, restoring a youthful fullness and suppleness.
Here’s what makes Radiesse special:
- FDA-approved: Backed by rigorous testing and proven safety, Radiesse® offers peace of mind.
- Long-lasting results: Enjoy a more youthful appearance for up to a year or more.
- Dual action: Provides immediate volume correction while stimulating natural collagen production for lasting improvement.
- Versatile: Treats deeper wrinkles and lines in the face and restores volume in the hands.
Unlike traditional dermal fillers, Sculptra isn’t just about filling lines and wrinkles. This unique FDA-approved injectable goes beyond the surface, using poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) microparticles to stimulate your body’s natural collagen production. Collagen, a key protein for youthful skin, diminishes with age, leading to volume loss and visible signs of aging.
If you’re looking for a long-lasting solution to address volume loss and achieve a natural, rejuvenated aesthetic, Sculptra offers a unique approach by working with your body’s own collagen-building process.
Originally developed to address severe facial fat loss, Sculptra has proven effective in:
- Restoring volume: By stimulating collagen growth, Sculptra plumps up wrinkles and folds, particularly in areas like the cheeks and nasolabial folds, for a naturally fuller, more youthful appearance.
- Enhancing contours: Beyond the face, Sculptra can subtly add volume to areas like the buttocks, creating a smoother, more defined look.
External factors that prevent results from lasting longer include UV radiation and air pollution. Skin damage from free radicals can accelerate skin aging and diminish the results for dermal fillers. Products that you put on the areas of injections can also play a big role.
Your Unique Body
The effects of injectables don’t last the same for everyone. From genetics to our daily activities, individual factors play a significant role in how quickly dermal fillers dissipate. Generally, highly active individuals tend to metabolize them faster. However, remember, consistency is key, regardless of your individual processing rate
Ways to make results last longer?
Unfortunately there’s no way to make them last forever, but there are things you can do to extend the results of dermal fillers. Patients should be aware that repeat sessions will be necessary to maintain their results. Here’s why results fade and what you can do to extend the effects of injectables between touch-up visits.
First 24 Hours After Injection
- Drink plenty of water, particularly with hyaluronic acid fillers to improve their water absorption effects.
- Avoid consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Sleep on your back to avoid pressure on the treated area.
- Avoid extreme heat or cold to minimize swelling and redness of the treated area.
- Use sunscreen and avoid direct UV rays as your skin will be more sensitive and prone to damage.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the first 24 hours.
Combine Dermal Fillers with Botox
When filler is applied to a part of the face that you move a lot when making facial expressions, the effects tend to wear off faster. Botox keeps key facial muscles relaxed so your skin lies smoother and fillers last longer.
Hydration not only keeps wrinkles at bay, but helps maintain your injections. In addition to drinking water, hydrate your skin with topical treatments. Choose a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid to reduce inflammation and slow the process with which your body breaks down your injectables.
Unlock longer-lasting injectables with a healthy skin glow! Just like other cosmetic treatments, injectables thrive on healthy, well-cared-for skin. Here’s how you can boost your results and keep wrinkles at bay:
- Hydration is key: Daily moisturization and ample water intake are essential for hyaluronic acid fillers. This water-loving ingredient plumps the treated areas, and proper hydration keeps it working its magic!
- Beyond moisture, build strength: Look for skincare heroes that stimulate collagen production and shield your skin from free radical damage. Stronger skin provides a firm foundation for injectables, extending their effects. Antioxidants like Vitamin C add an extra layer of protection against sun and pollution.
- Unlock your inner collagen: Retinol and collagen peptides are your secret weapons for boosting collagen production. Find them in moisturizers, cleansers, and serums for a powerful combo.
- Remember: Consistent skincare is key. Make these practices a daily habit to maximize your investment in injectables and flaunt a radiant, youthful appearance!
Minimize UV Exposure
Too much sun exposure can actually break down your injectable treatments, reversing their effects. Remember, preventing damage is always easier than reversing it. By following these simple sun protection tips, you can help your fillers last longer and enjoy your youthful appearance for months to come!
Shield your skin:
- High-quality sunscreen is your BFF: Choose a broad-spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen and apply it generously 15 minutes before heading out, and reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or sweating.
- Seek shade during peak hours: The sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm. Plan your outdoor activities for earlier or later in the day, or find a shady spot to relax.
- Accessorize with a wide-brimmed hat: It’s not just stylish, it protects your face, ears, and neck from harmful UV rays.
Double down on protection:
- Vitamin C boost: Look for sunscreens with Vitamin C, which can offer additional antioxidant protection against sun damage.
- Limit screen time: While blue light isn’t UV, it can still contribute to skin aging. Consider a blue-light filter for your devices or simply adjust the brightness settings.
- Consider sun-protective clothing with a UPF rating of 50+.
- Reapply sunscreen more often if you’re sweating or swimming.
- Don’t forget to protect your lips with an SPF lip balm.
The food you eat can directly affect both the appearance and health of your skin. In terms of maximizing the results of your filler we encourage patients to stay away from processed and packaged foods, as well as limiting the amount of sugar in your diet. Increased inflammation caused by these foods in your body is translated to your overall skin health. Too much refined sugar can accelerate aging, and consuming high-sodium foods makes your face look puffy and swollen. Avoid these as much as possible.
Stress causes your body to release cortisol, a hormone that controls your body’s “fight or flight” response. When you’re under continued stress, your body is continually releasing cortisol, which can speed the aging process and affect how your body metabolizes your dermal fillers. By reducing stress, your body won’t break down the treatments as quickly, helping them last longer.
Interested in learning more from our experts? Book your FREE consultation today or call 406.869.1066!